NuoDB Announces Final Beta Release of Emergent Database
Beta 9 Adds Major New Functionality Including Support for Zend Framework and HadoopThe doubling of NuoDB’s user base since
Cambridge, MA- October 02, 2012- NuoDB, Inc., a startup offering the industry’s only elastically scalable, emergent database for the cloud, today announced availability of Beta 9 of its groundbreaking SQL database.
This latest release is available immediately for download by NuoDB’s rapidly growing beta user base of nearly 2,000 developers, database administrators and independent software vendors. It will be the final beta version of the NuoDB software prior to general availability. A shipping date for Version 1.0 will be announced within the next 30 days.
Simultaneously, NuoDB also announced a summary of their beta results in a related press release entitled: NuoDB Beta Participants Highlight Latest Cloud Database Trends.
What’s new in Beta 9
- Zend PHP Framework support - With Beta 9, thousands of PHP developers can now integrate their Web applications directly with NuoDB.
- Multi-threaded HDFS support - Easily configure NuoDB Storage Managers to persist data to the high performance Hadoop distributed file system (HDFS). Beta 9 optimizes for multi-thread I/O streams at maximum performance. This enhancement allows users to make Hadoop their core storage with no extra effort.
- Single Transaction Node performance - NuoDB Beta 9 offers performance comparable with MySQL and MariaDB. As additional nodes are added, NuoDB performance improves significantly at near linear scale.
- NuoConsole – Beta 9 offers a preview of the new Web-based NuoConsole, intended to replace the current desktop console. The new console makes it easier to do deeper monitoring, more customizable metrics and query-level reporting.
- Query Explain Plan Logging - Beta 9 introduces SQL explain plans for your queries. Users can simply qualify queries with the word “EXPLAIN” and NuoDB will respond with the details of the execution plan allowing performance optimization to SQL if needed.
- Query Killing - Allows users to kill hung or long running queries through the NuoConsole.
- Date/Time Enhancement - An enhancement to the existing date/time data-type support to enable more granular capture of timestamp information.
- Java App Server Support - Beta 9 now supports leading Web JEE app servers including JBoss, Tomcat, and ColdFusion.
- Stability, Hardening, Other Enhancements – This release comes with improved product stability including more than 100 high-priority bug fixes. This beta also improves the PHP/PDO driver and supports Drupal. The Ruby on Rails driver is now faster; the Hibernate Dialect supports version 4.1. The release also includes numerous SQL enhancements.
Beta tested by nearly 2,000 users
“Over the past year, we have released nine betas, each more cloud-friendly and higher performing than its predecessor,” stated Barry Morris, NuoDB CEO and Co-Founder.
Morris continued, “Nearly 2,000 beta customers have so far taken full advantage of our emergent architecture, using it as the backend for their Web-scale applications; to test migration from traditional RDBMS and as a support for building SaaS applications. With general availability of NuoDB to be announced soon, we fully expect to see an explosion of creative use cases and even greater performance gains. What we’ve accomplished so far is just the beginning of a revolution in 21st century database technology.”
“We are seeing a growing number of new databases designed for web scalability and performance without sacrificing valuable relational features," said RedMonk analyst Donnie Berkholz. "The doubling of NuoDB’s user base since Beta 8, less than two months ago, indicates significant momentum, and a market demand for cloud databases that support transactions."
“With NuoDB we can, at last, solve the problem of having multiple instances of the same data in two different regions on our AWS servers, without have to worry about replication configuration and concurrent updates. Everything is "synched in a snap". We are very happy with the NuoDB Beta 8, and look forward to working with the final version of the database.” Chief Information Officer, Embritive.
NuoDB Beta 9 Availability
The Beta 9 software is available for immediate download for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Solaris, and Joyent SmartOS platforms. It can be downloaded for free at http://www.nuodb.com/download.php.
NuoDB, Inc., is a Cambridge, MA based startup that provides the industry’s first and only patented elastically scalable, emergent database. Unlike every other database, NuoDB is architected to scale effortlessly on the cloud without compromising any of the features or guarantees of relational databases.
NuoDB is the brainchild of industry-renowned database architect and innovator Jim Starkey. NuoDB was launched in 2010 by Starkey and software CEO Barry Morris. The NuoDB database is currently in its final beta version and will become generally available in late 2012. For more information, visit us at http://www.nuodb.com. Twitter: @nuodb