You are here
Have You Heard? A Monthly Newsletter Series
Product Update: Beta 7 release hits the streets to immediate acclaim!
You heard it here first: we gave you advanced notice about beta 7 last month. Beta 7 hit the streets for the rest of the world on June 28 and the response was immediate and positive.
No surprise given how much goodness it offers; highlights include:
- Performance and scalability — Beta 7 now supports up to 50 nodes enabling the database to elastically scale to tens of thousands of transactions per second on Amazon EC2 or local commodity servers.
- Product hardening — Beta 7 provides additional hardening and increased stability.
- SQL — Beta 7 now supports SQL 92 with 99 extensions as well as incorporating several querying and indexing enhancements and enhances SQL Standards compliance to cover a majority of application requirements.
- NuoDB Administrative Console — Functional enhancements to graphical console, which was introduced in Beta 6.
- New language drivers — Incorporates new Ruby, PHP/PDO, and Perl drivers to address growing Web development needs. These drivers were developed by the NuoDB Github community.
Besides breaking our previous 2 day download record (which kind of says it all), here’s a short sample of what else the world had to say:
In Case You Missed It: NuoDB officially announced our B round investment to much acclaim.
In case you missed here’s just a few sample articles:
- GigaOM get’s it! http://bit.ly/LJbPlL
- It’s a new Era! http://bit.ly/NUKxYj
- Talk about a start-up backer… http://bit.ly/LYsk01
Make It Scale! Ooops, poor old Amazon cloud…. again.
If the carefully scrutinized public cloud service outages tell us anything, it is that it’s time for us to think differently about databases on the cloud. Very differently.
As relates to disaster recovery of databases, public cloud customers need three things:
- Safe Data Guarantees
To have live, fully up to date and fully consistent copies of all your databases in a location of your own choice. That might be your corporate datacenter, a portable USB drive or an archive facility in a bunker under Nebraska. It might be more than one location.
- Continuity of Service
To have a database system that runs concurrently in multiple datacenters and/or cloud availability zones with guarantees of consistency in all locations, and resilience to failure of any of those locations.
- Capacity Recovery
To have the ability to add computers to a running database system to rebuild capacity that may have been lost due to a datacenter or region going down. And to have a database that can restart rapidly in a new location from a Safe Copy of the database (see point 1), should all datacenters fail.
- Can such a system be built? Is it even possible? There is good news. NuoDB has that Big Idea. When we talk about 100% uptime this is exactly what we’re referring to. The new age of web-scale data management needs a new architecture. If you’re interested in what the 21st century database will look like, download the latest beta of NuoDB.
Facetime: Adam does Ruby. On Rails.
Adam Abrevaya VP of Engineering at NuoDB
Meet Adam Abrevaya, VP of NuoDB Engineering. Adam is a cool guy who loves code. From XML Engineering at Excelon to Verisign to The Big Idea at NuoDB, he’s a software developing machine. Adam embraces complexity, ambiguity and lately Ruby on Rails.
Why did we add Ruby on Rails support to NuoDB?
“At NuoDB, we’re all about building a database for Web Scale applications. Ruby on Rails provides a beautiful architecture for building web applications. Where most Web Scale applications fall short is database throughput. That’s where NuoDB comes in – increased database throughput is built into the NuoDB architecture – no recoding necessary, just add another machine and the database goes faster.”
How does NuoDB work with RoR?
“Easy, just like any other SQL database: 1) Install NuoDB and the NuoDB GEMs, 2) Update your application’s config/database.yml and Gemfile to tell it about NuoDB. Details are on our community forum.”
For more information and to read more about this months hot topics, make sure to sign up to our mailing list so that you can be the first to know.
If you’re already sold on the idea, but haven’t yet jumped on the NuoDB bandwagon, visit our DOWNLOAD page today!